Friday, June 15, 2012

Just thought I would post a list of useful iPhone apps that I will be taking with me for the Great Divide Route...

GPS Kit - packed with features, intuitive simple to use interface, cache any high resolution topo map at no cost to use when off the grid, easily download waypoints and routes (loaded the entire GDR in a few seconds - via a GPX file attached to an email).  Basically this has everything you would want in a GPS unit.
Map My Tour - I'll be using this to outline my route in real time, a great place to drop messages and pics to friends and family.  Check out the link in the upper right corner of the blog.
High Def Radar - unbelievably accurate way to track storm cells before they hit, this has saved me many time while out riding
Real Wind - an app that I usually use when sailing, displays wind speed and direction anywhere on the globe
Lightning Finder - tracks all lightning ground strikes in the US, lightning is one of those things that I don't mess around with, scary stuff.  Unbelievably accurate.  A few days ago a huge lightning bolt hit out in the middle of the lake next to our house and within a few seconds it was on the map and recorded the distance from me...0.1 miles!
Allstay Tent and Camp - maps out all nearby camping spots
Bike Shops of America - maps out all nearby bike shops
Hostels International - maps out all nearby hostels
Traumapedia - an ortho app that I have used in the ED to review techniques to manage dislocations etc
Uptodate - always useful, the go to source for anything medical, never leave home without it
Pocket universe 4
- an ingenious app to recognize and track just about anything in the night's sky
Photo gene 2 - photo editing app
Highlight cam - video editing app
Blogger - have to be able to post somehow while I'm out there riding

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try to find some of those apps for android. Check these out if you have some time:I Google Sky Map, rainy days. Nice list of apps, can't seem to find lightning app on the android market for my phone, which is weird. Don't forget the ol' flashlight app, could come in handy. You should check out PeakAR too, this app is awesome, point your camera at any mountain(s) and it tells the name of the slope, pretty bad-ass. Try altimeter and smart compass too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I love the TMT app, that is really cool- you'r sister-in-law can bake a cake! Really cool... Hope all is well, thinkin' about you every day, and tracking you like big brother (as well as I can).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup! That TMT app is great. Just found out my trailer will arrive in Calgary at 1:30pm. Looks like I'll be on the trail tomorrow morning. Have you recovered from your trek?

    ReplyDelete