Sunday, July 15, 2012

Crossed the US border today

Finished the Canadian section of the GDR today. The terrain has really changed here in Montana, grassy rolling plains and mountains blanketed with pines in the distance, a stark contrast from the jagged foreboding peaks of Alberta and British Columbia.

Tomorrow I head up and over the continental divide (2nd crossing) via whitefish pass then south along the western border of Glacier to Whitefish MT. It sounds like there's quite a few grizzlies up there and I know my nerves will be a bit on edge. I'm looking forward to getting south out of grizzly territory so I can just ride and enjoy the mountains. Gear is holding up well. Starting to get into a rhythm of packing, riding, and unpacking.

A few hours of sun before sunset helped dry the gear from the heavy downpour most of the day. Actually, really enjoyed riding in the rain today and luckily avoided the lightening and thunder in the distant.

10 comments:

  1. Hi babe.... so great to hear from you! Glad you are back in the USA. Be safe and ring that bear bell often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason---you may not have to be concerned about the bears--the huckleberries are early and that is the grizzlies favorite----
    especially huckleberry tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures you're posting! Keep safe, thinking of you during your adventure!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to track your progress and what gorgeous pictures! What an amazing journey you are on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see your route takes you to eastern Idaho and Jackson WY. Any idea when you might be there? Jonathan and I will be in the area from July 24th through the 27th, doing Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Would be crazy, cool coincidence if we were in the same neighborhood at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome! I'll be riding through the Tetons in a week or so. If you could give me a call @ 802-342-8272 when you get up here maybe we could link up. My phone is usually off when riding (typically no reception) but I check my messages when I get into towns with cell service. Excited to see you and Jonathan.

      Delete
  7. Jay, I just got back from a six day surf trip. Could not help but think about you and your epic trip as I was catching some of the best waves of my life! I am really digging the blog you are doing a better job than I at keeping up with it, glad you have enough reception to keep up the blog. Also, glad to hear all the gear is holding up, I remember when Aaron and I were hiking, all we could think about for the first 3-4 days was how to shave off ounces (or pounds) also but we got used to it after those first noxious days. Love the pics and the stories man but I especially dig newly acquired scruff on your face, another week and you will look hardend. I will keep my phone handy... feel almost like I am with ya. Love ya cuz, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surfing trip sounds amazing. Will be day dreaming about that today as it's gonna be a long hot ride today (mid 90s).

      Delete
  8. So now can you mail your passport home and save an ounce and a half? :)

    And don't worry...I read a book on every historical grizzly attack in the US...no one has ever been attacked while on a bike...I am sure that helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete