Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Whitefish MT - 322 miles from Banff

Descended into Whitefish this afternoon after a long day of climbing (5k+) yesterday. Camped out at Red Meadows last night and spent the evening hanging with an eclectic varied group, a guy through-hiking the little known pacific northwest trail from Glacier to the Pacific, a very gregarious and generous local Montana fisherman, a writer displaced since hurricane Katrina who was more or less living on the lake, and three other cyclists from Jersey. The company was great but we were eaten alive by literal swarms of the largest most aggressive mosquitos I've ever seen.

Had a beautiful descent into the trendy hopping little town of Whitefish today. The huckleberries are just starting to ripen and I am certainly "bear aware" on the descent but don't have much to worry about as my Israeli comrade (Liron) turns on a electronic ear deafening "rape alarm" that he picked up in Israel, attaching it his bike prior to the steep descents in known bear country flying at speeds of about 35 mph down these winding forrest roads scaring any wildlife and all grizzlies within a mile of the trail. I took a funny video of this and will post it as soon as I figure out how to do that on the blog (anybody have any ideas?).

We are averaging about 65-70 miles per day. A pace that allows us to certainly push ourselves physically yet also enjoy the ride. Actually surprised that we've only come across one guy riding the GDR since leaving Banff.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What amazing pictures!! I'm glad you have some company and that they came prepared for bears! Looking forward to watching the video (once you post it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jay! It fun to be able to follow you on your journey. I have been thinking about you a lot and you are usually in our bed time prayers with the kids! It looks like your doing great! The pictures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to thank your little ones for the bedtime prayers. It sure was nice getting to know my niece and nephew...really great kids.

      Delete
  3. Not sure if you are checking comments...but if you upload the video to YouTube, it will give you an HTML code to embed the video in your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'll try that out.

      Delete
  4. I would agree with Cher, Blogger phone app would not let me post video's on my droid. I decided to post vid's on Youtube which was the easiest way I found. The pics are awesome, and you look great cuz. Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from Santa Fe,
    We are doing well here and are all pretty tired but persevering with the unpacking. It's going to look great and it feels good to see progress. Kari and Sky are doing good but pretty worn out. We hope to be able to relax in a few days. It's been amazing to watch your progress and see the beauty of this wonderful world we live in. Keep safe. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the update. I can't begin to tell you how reassuring it is that you guys are out there right now helping out with everything. When you come back out for thanksgiving I'll certainly do my best to make it up to you.

      Delete