Thursday, July 12, 2012

Elkford - 110 miles from Banff

The riding has been unreal. Put in a solid 12 hours of riding yesterday, about 60 miles to Elk Pass. That section was more technical than expected and I definitely felt beat up by the end of the day, but the body is feeling strong and the bike and trailer have been running well with no issues.

Unbelievably beautiful and wild country. Only two days in and I've already passed a small cub and and a big grizzly. Encountered the grizzly early this afternoon. He was just strolling down the trail ahead of me, took a quick look back at me and just slowly strutted down the trail for quite a ways. My heart was pounding and a hundred different scenarios were running through my head. He eventually headed off trail and I ended up using my air horn from a distance, then clenching my bear spray tightly I peddled as fast as my legs would carry me.

I felt like I found my rhythm today. Just spinning, listening to some good tunes, and taking everything in. Today was a lot of dirt and gravel roads with some long descents. I can't believe how well the BOB trailer handles on steep rough downhills. Although, the climbs and hike-a-bikes are rough, with all that weight. It seems like every time I stop I'm thinking... what can I get rid off to drop even a few ounces.

The plan is to head to Fernie tomorrow, taking the Fernie alternative to bypass the "grizzly highway". Then I cross the border and head down to Eureka.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are blogging your trip, you are in my favorite part of North America...I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first day---averaging 5 miles per hour for 12 hours per
    day---you will be in Santa Fe in 60 days which includes 5 mandatory rest days---important. Your pre-planning was perfect.
    You would have thought that outrunning that female grizzly would have increased your average speed a mile or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob and I have to get to the Banff area, it looks so beautiful. It's on our bucket list. So glad to hear you are doing well and so happy. We are holding down the 'empty' fort here and looking forward to the moving van to arrive. We are roughing it but not quite the same as you. Kari and Sky are doing good. They both are enjoying their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason

    Really enjoying sharing your journey. Beautiful country. Keep it up.

    Dr. B

    ReplyDelete